Re: [Patch PE]: Put .eh_frame in its own section

On Jul 3, 2009, at 3:26 PM, Vincent R. wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:45:57 +0200, Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com >
wrote:
On Jul 1, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Tristan Gingold wrote:

Hi,

the idea of this patch was already discussed: move .eh_frame into its
own section (instead of .rdata) so that GDB can use it to do its
unwinding. This is very useful for x86_64.

I have just committed this patch as it was pre-approved by DaveK.

tristan.

ld/
2009-07-01  Tristan Gingold  <gingold@adacore.com>

	* scripttempl/pep.sc: Put .eh_frame in its own section.
	* scripttempl/pe.sc: Ditto.

Sorry to ask because usally I don't really understand everything in this
mailing list but
does it affect some PE platform like arm-*-pe ?

Yes.

Will I see a new section .eh_frame in new binaries ?

Yes.

Will I be able to remove it by stripping because on wince PE loader is
strict and doesn't like new sections.

Yes, you could strip it but it might break your application (as it contains info for the unwinder).

Could you test wether it breaks arm-*-pe ? If so, we could adjust so that this section is created only
for i386 and x86_64.

Tristan.