gas alignment issue

Hi
I have gnu binutils-2.13.1, In which I have done assembler relaxation for branch instruction and it is working fine, but if a function is aligned then in some of the relaxed instruction emitted by assembler having 0's opcode instead of instruction opcode which I have assigned in md_convert_frag function based on the range of the symbol.

Can somebody tell me what is the relationship between assembler relaxation and alignment.
What could be the reason behind opcode getting changed?

Thanks in advance