Re: PATCH: PR ld/10433: Latest ld fails to link ldconfig properly

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 20:41:23 David Daney wrote:
> H.J. Lu wrote:
> >>
> >> You don't have global authority to commit patches.  I'd normally let
> >> this sort of patch pass, but I quite clearly explained why I removed
> >> your test of ref_regular before.  Please revert this patch and instead
> >> fix it in your target finish_dynamic_symbol.
> >
> > I disagree. If ref_regular isn't set properly, IFUNC may not work
> > properly at all. I will revert my patch and move it to the Linux
> > binutils instead.
>
> Granted all GNU/Linux systems use your binutils fork, but
> could you explain why the issue is important enough to fix in your
> binutils fork, but doesn't merit fixing in the sourceware.org version?

that's not really true.  we've switched Gentoo to the GNU releases by default
(while still making the HJL versions available).  mips tended to be screwed up
in the non-GNU releases, and havent found any real pressing need to use the
HJL versions in general.  plus, it's a lot easier to stabilize on a stable
release than one made against the latest development tree.
-mike