Overlay sections, linking and copying

Hi!, my name is Ignacio Subirá and I'm new to the list so hello everybody.

My question regards to using overlays in a system with flash and ram.
I'd like to have several modules in flash that could be loaded and run in
ram on demand in several sections, more or less like linux kernel modules
but with pieces of code in ram.

Until now, I've read enough to be able to design the overlay structure in
the linker script and store the complete binary in the flash of my device.
The problem comes now when I want to load the pieces of code, where do I
have to look for them in flash?, where are them stored in the binary?, in
what address do they start and end?.

I'm figuring I can do all this later on by using objdump, nm or something
like that but the main binary ( the program ) should know that to be able
to load them on demand but I have no idea of how could I guess it in
compilation or programming time.

If anybody has some idea and wants to help, I'd be pleased.

Thanks for your time,

Ignacio Subirá