mingw binaries and resources

Is "i686-mingw32-ld.exe resource.o binary.exe -o new-binary.exe"
generally supposed to work?

I got this recipe from a post somewhere, probably on the Cygwin
mailing list, as an example of how to add a manifest to an existing
executable.  It worked pretty well for that executable, but broke on a
newer binutils; Joseph Myers identified Alan's patch here as the
culprit:

  http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-05/msg00225.html

But then on some other binaries, it didn't work at all, on either side
of the patch.

So before we start throwing testcases around, is passing a fully
linked PE executable to LD supposed to work for adding resources?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery