Re: binutils 2.20 regressions (20091002)

On Oct 2, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

H.J. Lu wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
Tristan Gingold wrote:

Should we include Jakub's patch on .cfi_* directives ?
That's obviously highly desirable, since there won't be another official
binutils release before gcc-4.5.0 comes out, but of course it's risky. It
looks safe-ish because a lot of it is semi-mechanically wrapping conditionals
around the existing code, but of course just one typo'd/wrong/ missing
condition amongst them could end up generating bad debug info.

I'd like to see testcases for those new .cfi_* directives first. We have no ideas how they should work without testcases.

Good point. A good set of testcases (including checks that old behaviour is
still correct) could go a long way toward mitigating the risk.

Agreed.

Note that it is possible to make a 2.20.1 release around January that includes this patch. I think it is
safer than including this patch first and maybe create in a hurry a new release if a bug is found.

Tristan.