Re: Universal Mach-O target for BFD

Ryan Govostes wrote:
I noticed that GDB 7, while it supports single-architecture Mach-O files, does not like "universal" (fat) binaries.

I haven't done any hacking on gdb / binutils before, so I'm not sure of the extent of changes that need to be made. I expect it's something like,

1. Add support for universal binaries to BFD.
2. Add flags to GDB to select which architecture to extract.

For the first one, I'm not sure if there is precedent in BFD on how to handle fat binaries, but here's the gist of how a multiarchitecture file is laid out[1] (all in big-endian byte ordering):

1. The 4-byte magic number 0xCAFEBABE.

OT: Nice. The same magic as java class files. I wonder which came first.

David Daney