Re: RFC: Alternate names for ELF substitution sequences

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
> I recently had to build GDB with an rpath containing "$ORIGIN" (which
> has magic significance to the dynamic loader). ?This involved a
> ludicrous and unpredictable number of backslashes.
>
> How can we make this easier? ?For instance, is there a character or
> sequence we are willing to sacrifice from rpaths that isn't so
> shell-active? ?Perhaps "={": -rpath "={ORIGIN}" -> "${ORIGIN}".

I mentioned this to you, but for the record,
I've been hit with this same issue when putting nonstandard
substitution sequences into soname
like so (from makefiles):
gcc -shared -o $@ $^ -Wl,-soname='$${framework}'/${TEST_FRAMEWORK_TARGET}

then using the rtld-auditing la_objsearch mechanism to handle said
substitution sequence

http://gitorious.org/framework-plugin-4gcc/framework-plugin-4gcc/trees/master

in the future I may be able to convince my gcc plugin to send the
option to ld giving me a predictable amount of required escaping

I could use any old string of characters because mine has no
significance to the dynamic loader, but there exists prior art that
this is the way that these magic strings of characters are done...