Re: [Patch]: fix bfd/targets.c build failure on AIX

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 01:34:07PM +0100, Kai Tietz wrote:
> binutils-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 17.11.2009 13:20:11:
> > This is wrong.  alloca should not be used in libbfd, and where we
> > grudgingly accept it, alloca-conf.h needs to be the first include
> > file.
>
> just by curiousity. Where is written that alloca shouldn't be used in
> libbfd?

I don't think we document it anywhere, but see
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-09/msg00367.html

I'm inclined to think that bfd functions used only by ld are exempt
from Ian's rule that libraries ought not abort.

> By a grepping through the source of bfd, there are many places
> using alloca already?

Prior to your targets.c patch it was only in 4 target specific
files.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM