Re: gold patch committed (Was: Re: Help needed to track down bug: linking Linux kernel with gold creates unbootable kernel)

"H.J. Lu" <hjl.tools@gmail.com> writes:

>>> 2. -z max-page-size=0x1000 isn' honored on the last segment.
>>
>> I don't know what you mean here.
>
> User asked maximum page size to be 0x1000 and gold does
> something else. I don't know if the resulting binary is valid
> or not since p_align are different on 2 LOAD segments.

Unfortunately the -z max-page-size option is poorly documented.  What
do we think it should mean?  For the GNU linker, the option has two
effects: 1) set the value for CONSTANT (MAXPAGESIZE) in a linker
script; 2) set the default value for page alignment of program
headers.

In practice it sets the minimum page size to use for a demand paged
executable.  You seem to be suggesting that it should also set a
maximum page size, in effect suggesting that it should be the exact
page size to use.  Is that we want?

Ian