Re: Need some help with a patch for new command --warn-execstack for ld

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 10:00:40 Nick Clifton wrote:
> Getting hold of X however is not really possible.  There is no
> information in the object file so specify which function(s) needed an
> executable stack.  That information is only known at compile time and it
> is lost by the time that the object file is created.  My recommendation
> would be to just drop references to explicit function names from the
> warning messages.

the real power of the original patch to gcc was that it gave function-level
warnings.  when working with a huge file and only one of those funcs was
causing a problem, it was hard to narrow down which one by hand.  yes, there
were some spurious warnings from time to time ;), but we ignored those if the
intermediate object and/or link didnt cause problems (require exec stack).

i'm not complaining about the linker or some bfd limitation here, just
commenting on the original purpose.  i know that by the time the exec stack
marking has made it to the linker, any such binding to the triggering function
is lost.  this is true before any code is even delivered to binutils since gcc
only outputs one .note.GNU-stack per unit.

so if we want function-level warning (and we def do), i'm pretty sure it has
to be in gcc.  not to say we dont also want to extend the linker as there are
cases where the exec stack is coming from asm files that gcc has nothing to do
with, or precompiled objects that the end user is given directly.
-mike