Re: [patch] PR ld/11817 Revert part of compressed debug patch to fix ld breakage

>> OK. For the record, the bug has been there since the original
>> compressed-debug section patch two years ago, but was it impossible to
>> hit until I added the option to gas.
>
> I am adding testcases for compressed-debug sections.

I saw that, thanks!

I've committed the revert.

> I think we should also support compress/uncompress debug sections
> with objcopy.
>
> I think we can do
>
> 1. Uncompress debug section on read as an option.
> 2. Add a BFD function to compress debug sections.
> 3. Add lang_compress_sections and call it from
> lang_process.
>
> We may be able to share compress functions between
> gas, ld and objcopy.

My original proposed patch added a compression function to
bfd/compress.c, but that ended up not being useful for gas, since the
compressor needed to be frag-aware. When we need it, I can add that
again, and we might be able to share it between ld and objcopy, but I
don't think gas could use it without sacrificing some efficiency.

I was thinking of doing the decompression at a lower level in bfd, so
that both bfd_get_section_contents and
bfd_simple_get_relocated_section_contents would just do the right
thing automatically, but that seemed more intrusive, and I wasn't sure
that we would always want to decompress the contents.

-cary