Re: Compiling under MSYS

On 15/07/2010 03:50, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 05:42:17PM +1000, Bidski wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me whats going on here? Sorry if this is something
>> obvious, but Im new to this stuff.
>
> Looks like your compiler is broken.  That might be because "gcc" on
> your system is a script that manipulates command line options before
> calling the real gcc, and something is wrong with the option
> handling.  This is just a guess.  You'll need to ask someone more
> familiar with your system.

  The fact that it happens semi-randomly in different locations each time
makes even that unlikely; it looks to me like Bidski's system is unstable in
some way.

  Bidski, I have an old msys installation lying around from about a year or so
ago, so I downloaded binutils 2.20.1 and built it following your exact
procedure and everything went fine.  There are a couple of things I can think
of trying:

- could your computer have some memory or other hardware fault?  Might be
worth running http://www.memtest.org/ on it overnight and seeing if anything
shows up.

- do you have any other gnu/unix tools on your computer?  Make sure there's
nothing like Cygwin, ActiveState perl or python, gnuwin32, MKS or SFU in your
PATH during the build if so.

- finally, what if any security software do you have installed?  MSYS is a
variant on Cygwin, and we occasionally run into reports of problems caused by
anti-virus, desktop firewall, and other security-related software that hooks
into standard system calls.  Take a look at the Cygwin FAQ entry at
http://tinyurl.com/bloda and see if any of that rings a bell.

    cheers,
      DaveK