Re: Add SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED

> I am having a second though. I am leaning toward SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED
> instead of SHT_GNU_COMPRESSED_BITS since compressed sections are
> still SHT_PROGBITS. ?We don't have to worry about the older tools since
> they can't process compressed section anyway. The difference is with
> SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED, the older tools may find garbage in compressed
> debug sections, instead of ignore them. ?But it will make binutils much much
> nicer. ?We can compress/decompress debug sections without changing
> section names.
>
> Cary, what do you think?

The reason I prefer to use a section type (SHT_...) rather than a flag
(SHF_...) is that it feels like it's neither a PROGBITS section nor a
NOBITS section -- it's something else. With a new flag, unaware tools
will ignore the flag and just treat the section as an ordinary
PROGBITS section, which is unlikely to work. With a new section type,
they're more likely to complain rather than process the section wrong.

-cary