RFC: Should we add SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED?

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
>> I noticed that --compress-debug-sections might generate bigger sections,
>> depending on input. Shouldn't we use uncompressed data instead if
>> the compressed one is bigger?
>
> I thought about that, and it would be a reasonable thing to do once
> we've rolled over to using a section type or flag. As it is, I was
> reluctant to set things up where we might have, say, a .zdebug_info
> and a .debug_abbrev section, as it might confuse some tools that
> aren't yet aware of the compressed sections.

My patch is almost ready. I am adding testcases. linker
--compress-debug-sections
will be a separate patch later

I don't like SHT_XXX and we don't have to use SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED.
You can peek .debug sections to see if there is a ZLIB header like what gdb
does. On the other hand, SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED can avoid the peek. I
can go with or without SHF_GNU_COMPRESSED.  Any comments on that?

Thanks.

--
H.J.