RE: read/write header characteristics of Win32/PE executable

Hi Sean, I'm not good at bfd, but your task seems to be trivial enough to do it using plain winapi!! Accessing PE headers is really easy, using bfd for that... you'll waste more time figuring out simple stuff, while straight forward winapi will get you there in a couple of hours. I had to do something related to PE and eventually I did it all myself without any libraries.
ontl has some good code that you can use for reference:
http://code.google.com/p/ontl/source/browse/trunk/ntl/pe/image.hxx
If you ask on their mailing list on how to switch from bfd to ontl for your simple task, I think you'll get a 5 line function that does what you want.