Re: how to get "the big picture" with nm, objdump, size for object size?

Hi Ilya,

1. Static libraries vs shared libraries.

I think that using shared libraries will *greatly* reduce link times,
am I right?

They should reduce your link times, but I am not sure that the reduction will be as great as you think. The shared libraries still need to be examined by the linker, so there is still going to be some overhead from using them.

2. As you can see, debug sections occupy very much space (for
executables they hold even more, ~86%). It is too slow to transfer it
from object files to libraries, then to executables. What about to keep
debug data in a database?

Have a read of the documentation for the objcopy program, especially its --strip-debug and --only-keep-debug options. These options do most of what you want, except for speeding up link times by removing the debug info before the link. Removing the debug info at the object file stage is a bad idea since the information is incomplete and still needs processing in order to make sure that it corresponds to the final executable.

Cheers
  Nick