Re: make install-strip with binutils

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> >> It should be
> >> possible to add forwarders to toplevel Makefile.tpl and Makefile.def,
> >> and add targets to the non-automake-governed sub directories of the
> >> combined GCC/src tree, but you'd need to take care to pass the right
> >> strip program (for host or for target, possibly the in-tree strip).
> >
> > I.... have no idea how to do that :)
>
> Edit the top level Makefile.tpl and Makefile.def files.  Copy a similar
> target--say, install-pdf.  Run "autogen Makefile.def".  Test.

 Automake should be doing The Right Thing wrt cross-stripping binaries.
As binutils do not build any target binaries that should be enough, but
our top level is meant to be used with more complex setups and should be
capable of handling GCC and src trees combined.  Therefore as Ralf
mentioned, support for using in-tree strip may be needed; I reckon the
scripts are already capable of doing this for other tools so things may be
as easy as copying & pasting the existing bits.  Then again, maybe not. ;)

  Maciej