Re: Review of --enable-gold=both patch

On 10/29/2010 04:54 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
On 29.10.2010 11:20, Nick Clifton wrote:
Hi Matthias,

OK. I suppose we could also have --with-default-linker=gold -- or
--enable :-) -- but I'm not worried about that.

Thanks again for your help with this.

the --enable-gold=both option is already in current binutils trunk, which will soon be released as binutils-2.21. Should this be changed before the binutils release, or should the binutils patch be kept as it is? Any recommendations how to update the patch and/or current binutils?

We should really make the 2.21 release support --with-default-linker= Would you care to submit a patch for this ?

to summarize:

- in binutils, --with-default-linker= should trigger which linker is
built, and should determine which linker the ld symlink points to.

- if both linkers are built, the non-default linker build has to be
enabled with either --enable-ld or --enable-gold.

- values (other than yes or no) passed to --enable-ld and --enable-gold
are ignored.

Uh, actually no. Rereading the thread, the only point on which we had consensus :) was to remove the current wart of --enable-gold disabling --enable-ld; you're proposing to double it instead.

This was my proposal:

--disable-gold [--enable-ld]
  Build only ld.  Default option.

--enable-gold[=default] [--enable-ld]
  Build both gold and ld.  Install gold as "gold" and "ld", install ld
  as "ld.bfd".  This is different from the current behavior, in that ld
  is currently not installed at all.

--enable-gold[=default] --disable-ld
  Build only gold, which is then installed as both "gold" and "ld".

--enable-gold --enable-ld=default
  Build both gold (installed as "gold") and ld (installed as "ld").
  In other words, ld is default

--enable-gold=default --enable-ld=default
  Error.

Paolo