Re: PATCH: Don't display bits only used for BFD in abfd->flags.

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Alan Modra <amodra@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 08:43:35PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> bfd_make_section_anyway_with_flags uses section name as ash value
>> for section hash table. If you want to do this, you should change the section
>> name before calling bfd_make_section_anyway. Otherwise, linker may
>> run into strange problems.
>
> Yes, that could be a problem. ?Cured like this.

I noticed such problems when I was testing compressed debug
sections. I did:

1. Build a special assembler with compressed debug section enabled
by default.
2. Use the new assembler to compile and run "make check" on
Linux/x86-64 with gcc, glibc and gdb.
3. Run gdb on newly built gcc and glibc.

If we want to rename section names, I think we should enable the
compressed debug in assembler by default.  Otherwise, we may
not know if there is a problem.

BTW, gdb 7.0 and above support compressed debug sections.

--
H.J.