Re: "ld -r" on mixed IR/non-IR objects (

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 6:29 PM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:

> The initial implementation of my proposal is available on hjl/lto-mixed
> branch at
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=devel/binutils/hjl/x86.git;a=summary

I don't know how to separate this idea from the other work on that branch.

I'm concerned that this idea appears to deeply embeds knowledge about
LTO into the linker
proper.  One of the goals of the plugin approach was to have a clean
separation, to give us
more flexibility going forward.  I say "appears to" because I'm not
sure I entirely understand
the proposal.  The text is rather sketchy and I haven't seen the patch.

For example, I think it would be a mistake for the linker to know the
magic names that
we currently use for LTO sections, and it would definitely be a
mistake for the linker to
know anything about the format of the data they contain.

Ian