--as-needed and --no-add-needed linker options

I do not understand the necessity of introducing the options of
--as-needed and --no-add-needed!
Why adding or not adding DT_NEEDED tag is so important that two
separate options are considered for ld?
I wonder if anybody can explain this tag and the situation when a
dynamic library references a symbol in another dynamic library.
If i create a dynamic library with some external references and then
link it with my program, what happens after executing my program?