Re: common symbols

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 02:27:17PM +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> My question is in relation with GNU ld. What is common symbol?
> How the linker considers space for common symbols, would you please
> give me an example?
> is a label common symbol?
> Regards

There is a useful amount of explanation (to begin with) at section:

3.6.4.3 Input Section for Common Symbols

of the info file for ld. (At least, ISTR that's where I snaffled the
plaintext file I use in preference to menued monkeyshines.)

Sadly, "info ld" only shows the manpage if you're on a ubuntu system.
There is equivalent content here, however:

http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.21/ld/index.html

Using that text, some googling, and some experiments, has been enough to
answer an awful lot of questions, I've found. ;-)

Erik

--
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite."