Re: gold patch committed: Make relro_test fail if dc is not present

Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> writes:

>>> Ugh. How about this? Is strtonum() supported in all versions of awk
>>> that we care about?
>>
>> Good idea, but I don't think so. Âstrtonum is only in GNU awk, and is
>> probably not in, e.g., Solaris awk.
>>
>> I wonder how portable printf is?
>
> printf and sprintf are described in the Posix Single Unix
> Specification's awk page, so they ought to be portable enough?

Oh, I was thinking of the shell command printf.  I agree that awk always
support printf, but I also agree that it doesn't reliably handle hex
constants.

> What platform doesn't have dc? I know it's not in Posix, but it's been
> on every version of Unix I've seen since v6. And who doesn't have a
> Posix shell?
>
> What about bc? That's in the SUS, and it supports "ibase = 16".

As far as I know all platforms have both dc and bc and they work fine.
The problem with them is that they are not always installed these days,
because they are rarely used.  We could always just complain if they are
not installed, but it seems like a lot of overhead for a test.

Ian