Re: "ld --verbose" omits SECTIONS-to-PHDRS mapping

John Reiser <jreiser@bitwagon.com> writes:

> A major part of the _indirect_ benefit to all users of having a default
> linker script is forcing the creation and maintenance of documentation
> that matches what the algorithm actually _is_.

Only partially.  Typical linker output on a current GNU/Linux system
includes a PT_GNU_STACK and a PT_GNU_EH_FRAME segment.  There is no way
to describe those segments in the current linker script language.  As
far as I can see, any attempt to add them with the current semantics
would amount to saying "created magically," and as such would add
little.  Similarly, although the PT_GNU_RELRO segment is partially
represented in the current linker script language via
DATA_SEGMENT_RELRO_END, little tricks like putting the first few
.got.plt entries into the relro segment can not be represented in the
current linker script language.

Ian