about relocation of split symbols

Hi all,

We are extending the addressing space of our 16-bit MCU. It has now
24-bit address  space and still 16-bit data path.
I'm wondering what is the best way ?to handle loading 24-bit immediate
addresses into the new 24-bit address registers, using 2 16-bit moves,
and especially how to handle relocation.

I'm not very familiar with MIPS assembly/relocation, but I think this
problem is quite similar.
My guess is that some instructions (such as "la" instruction) are
transformed by the assembly into 2 instructions loading both 16-bit
parts of the 32-bit address (or more for 64-bit addresses). Right?

So 2 additional HOWTOs must be defined for LD to know how to relocate
both parts, right ?

Is there another (commonly used) way to cope with such a relocation
problem, rather than defining new "macro" instructions ?

Aurelien