Re: Patching autoconf to support static binutils?

Bryan Ischo <bryan@ischo.com> writes:

> On 8/23/2011 8:25 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> Hello out there ... is anyone steering this ship????
>> wow, 24 hours w/out a response and you're already getting punchy ?  this is
>> open source which means you get to figure things out yourself if you cant find
>> help.  not bug people even more for their free assistance.
>
> It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, and I don't think your response is
> warranted.  Additionally, it is disappointing that you put more effort
> into writing this paragraph than to your response below ...
>
>> ./configure
>> make configure-host
>> make LDFLAGS=-all-static
>> -mike
>
> If you'll read my original email you'll note that the above doesn't
> work because LDFLAGS is passed to gcc by some of the binutils
> Makefiles and gcc doesn't like the -all-static option.

It sounds like you have already investigated and analyzed the problem
more than any of the binutils developers.  It's not a typical request
and I would not be surprised in the least if there were no simple way to
do it.  Since this seems to matter to you I would encourage you to
figure out a patch.

Ian