Re: ./configure --target seems to be ignored.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, John Darrington wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 02:42:45PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>      On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, John Darrington wrote:
>      > On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:27:48AM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>      >      There is no COFF support for MMIX, only ELF and ELF+mmo.
>      >
>      > How do I configure it to produce mmo?
>      >
>      > I tried ./configure --target=mmix-unknown-mmo but configure rejected that.
>
>      Just --target=mmix will do what you need.  There's only one
>      configuration, it does both.
>
> That was what I tried first of all.  So far as I could tell the resulting
> assembler only produces ELF.

Yes, because MMO is not a linkable format.  The GNU assembler
produces objects that must be further processed by the linker,
unlike for example nasm (for flat binary .COM) and mmixal. I
have to ask - do you know what these formats are (as opposed to
e.g. trying to see what object formats can be produced)?
Knowing what you try to achieve might help improving the
answers.

>  You say it "does both" - you mean it can
> generate both ELF and/or MMO ?  If so, how do I choose which it should
> produce?

It's admittedly a bit unclear in the ld documentation that
"emulation" can mean "output format" (one might be tempted to
use "-b", but that'd be wrong), but I think the rest of the
information you seek is there.  I really much prefer improving
the linker documentation over clarifying it on a mailing list,
so please have a look and tell the first question that comes to
mind.

brgds, H-P