DATA_GOT, SDATA_GOT

I'm trying to understand the purpose of DATA_GOT and SDATA_GOT in ld/scripttempl/elf.sc. It looks to me like if an emulation defines DATA_GOT and doesn't define NO_SMALL_DATA, it'll end up with the .got-related bits being emitted in both places. Is this intentional/correct/useful/whatever?

I looked back in the mailing list archives to the time when these variables were added to elf.sc and didn't see any discussion about this (it was part of a much larger group of changes for powerpc). And, they aren't documented at all at the top of the file where the other customization hooks are listed. Can anyone clarify their purpose and usage?

-Sandra