Where to put a new binutils app

Ian and binutils maintainers,

I'm writing a new tool to combine .dwo files (Fission split debug) --
basically a link step for debug info. It's in C++ and uses elfcpp plus
a few things from libgold.a (e.g., stringpool and dwarf_reader). My
first thought was that it should go in src/binutils, since it's
basically a new utility, but (a) I'm not sure whether C++ would be
accepted there, and (b) I think that would create a circular
dependency between the binutils and gold directories (the gold
testsuite requires binutils to have been built). Should I just put it
in the gold directory (we already have incremental-dump there), or
somewhere new? Or should I refactor the useful stuff I want to borrow
from gold into another top-level directory?

-cary