Re: Configure option to enable plugin in ar,nm and ranlib by default?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Markus Trippelsdorf
<markus@trippelsdorf.de> wrote:
> Wouldn't it make sense to add a configure option that enables the plugin
> by default for ar,nm and ranlib? The path to the plugin could be
> specified at configure time. That would allow one to eventually get rid
> of the various wrappers (gcc-ar, etc.) that are currently in use.

In the usual course of events, the binutils are built first, then GCC
is built.  So configuring the binutils to use a GCC plugin would mean
building them once, building GCC, then building them again.  That
doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

What I think might make sense would be to have the binutils support an
environment variable for a default plugin.  If the environment
variable is set and no -plugin option is used, the plugin named by the
environment variable would automatically be used.

Ian