Re: Issue Tracker Used? Git migration checklist.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Fred Cooke wrote:

> Exactly how many distinct projects are in the top level of the tree?

See my message from March 2011 enumerating the logical divisions from (a)
to (i), and the subsequent discussion concluding that (h) is really three
separate independent projects.

Note that I propose that *each project should choose independently whether
and when to move from the shared tree, and what version control system to
use if moving from it*.

> And how many of them have cross dependencies at a source level?

Various components use various subsets of the toplevel code (which would
therefore be present in multiple repositories).  It may be a good idea to
set up the (a) master repository for shared toplevel files first, to avoid
even worse divergence than we have at present with files being
independently modified in the GCC and src repositories - if there are
three, or ten, separate repositories sharing this code, a better
discipline for modifications to it may be needed.

My message discusses what actually depends at all (or not) on the shared
files in various cases.

> And in reply to the more recent one, are you suggesting that the
> current binutils git repo is incomplete/broken and that a new export
> will need/want to be done with a new email mapping, etc?

I am suggesting that a shared binutils+gdb repository will be the best
approach for keeping BFD in sync automatically while ensuring that all the
normal git commands work exactly as expected for tagging, branching,
commits etc. - and that once everything is ready, we should create a clean
conversion of the existing history of exactly the directories that are
then determined to be relevant.

Ideally the conversion would include the history of GDB from before it was
developed in a public repository but I have not heard of any progress on
getting that released.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com