Re: [gold] enable sorting of text sections with the same prefix

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Alexander Ivchenko <aivchenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    This patch to gold: http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2013-01/msg00335.html
> disabled sorting of text sections with the same prefix like
> .text.hot0001, .text.hot0002
> which is very desirable.

Sorting by section names in general for text sections turns out to be
a bad idea as we have seen many performance issues. That is the reason
why the patch you reference was created.

The reason why some text sections are grouped to begin with is to
mimic the default GNU ld behaviour. I dont think GNU ld  groups these
two sections.  AFAIK, ".text.hot." is the prefix for hot text
sections. How were these two sections you mention created?Which
compiler is generating these two sections? Or, did you explicitly use
a section attribute?

Thanks
Sri

The attached patch fix this.