Binutils ld linker how to configure emulation target (no supported emulations after build)

Hello,

After successfully building binutils/ld and trying to run it I am getting this message-

$ ld-new
h:/binutils-2.23.1/ld/.libs/ld-new.exe: unrecognised emulation mode:
Supported emulations:

I've looked through the internals documentation and from what I understand you need to set up the configure or makefile so that the emulation mode you want is installed during the build process but I can't work out how you actually do that.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me a hand.

One more thing, in the main ld directory there is a file created, ld-new.exe, which is around 22kb and in the libs sub-folder there is another ld-new.exe that is around 6mb. The ld.exe I have from mingw doesn't seem to have any frontend or anything like that so I'm not sure what is going on with these two executables, hopefully someone can explain for me.

Thanks very much.