Re: RFC: Possible tweak to MIPS16/microMIPS PLT choice

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013, Richard Sandiford wrote:

> >  I still owe you a new version of the test suite part proposed there, I
> > remember -- I just couldn't allocate any time to do that, sigh...
>
> NP -- I have a harnaess I'm happy with, I just need to fill in the details :-)

 I explicitly covered some corner cases in my proposal, I'd prefer it
didn't get lost and therefore some form of the original test suite made
its way into our sources.  I reckon your main concern was the redundancy
of some cases and the lack of machine code matching.

> >  Hmm, I'm not sure if I follow you.  The choice looks obvious to me: we
> > want to use microMIPS PLT entries whenever possible because they are
> > smaller (the whole purpose of the creation of the microMIPS ISA).  In your
> > scenario:
> >
> > 1. We obviously can use a microMIPS PLT entry because we have microMIPS
> >    code in the object being linked.
> >
> > 2. We obviously can't use a microMIPS PLT entry because the presence of
> >    MIPS16 code precludes the use of microMIPS code.
> >
> > 3. We obviously can't use a microMIPS PLT entry because we only saw
> >    standard MIPS code and therefore we want to run it on a standard MIPS
> >    processor.
> >
> > 4. We obviously can use a microMIPS PLT entry because we have microMIPS
> >    code in the object being linked.
> >
> > -- so what's unclear about it?
> >
> >  In the absence of JAL relocations it's the output microMIPS ELF file
> > header flag that makes BFD decide whether to use microMIPS or standard PLT
> > entries and it seems obvious and straightforward to me.  Why do you think
> > CALL relocations should be treated specially in any way?  Am I missing
> > anything?
>
> Yeah, I should have been more explicit, sorry.  I thought the justification
> for using MIPS PLTs in microMIPS objects, rather than converting MIPS
> JALs to JALXs, was that we wanted to use the caller's encoding to avoid
> the hit of a mode change.  Wouldn't the hit be just the same if the call
> is coming indirectly through a JALR rather than directly through a JALX?

 The hit was mainly a concern for MIPS16 mode switches and I believe is
irrelevant for indirect calls because for these there is no branch
prediction and hence no need to invalidate state already prefetched into
the pipeline.

> That is, I wasn't sure why we were treating:
>
>         jal     foo
>
> and the equivalent of:
>
>         lw      $25, %call16(foo)($25)
>         jalr    $25
>
> differently when deciding the encoding of foo.  With JAL->JALX conversion,
> both forms can call either "standard" or "compressed" code, but as things
> stand, they don't influence the choice in the same way.

 A JAL->JALX conversion could be made, but the issue here is there is no
equivalent available for the J instruction.  So to avoid a further
complication such a conversion isn't made at all.  And don't forget the
JAL->BAL or J->B relaxation that we do want to make whenever possible.
Overall a lot of hassle for a questionable gain.  Someone who wants to
squeeze out as much as possible from memory available won't be using
mixed-mode binaries anyway.

> So going back to the list above, the equivalent for JAL relocations is:
>
> 1. microMIPS JAL + HI/LO ref -> microMIPS PLT
> 2. MIPS16 JAL    + HI/LO ref -> MIPS16 PLT
> 3. MIPS JAL      + HI/LO ref in non-microMIPS object -> MIPS PLT
> 4. MIPS JAL      + HI/LO ref in microMIPS object     -> MIPS PLT
>
> where (2) and (4) give different results from the GOT CALL case.
> I was thinking the GOT CALL and JAL cases could be handled in the same way.

 Well, as noted above the objective is different for JAL vs GOT CALL, so I
don't think the two cases need to match each other.  It's fine for GOT
CALL to switch modes -- although will it really?  Does the GOT entry
created to satisfy a CALL relocation point to a PLT slot rather than a
lazy binding stub in a non-PIC abicalls executable?  That would look like
an unnecessary performance pessimisation to me -- why two indirect calls
instead of one only?

  Maciej