Re: PATCH: PR binutils/12639: nm/readelf failed to detect corrupted symbol table

"H.J. Lu" <hongjiu.lu@intel.com> writes:
> Some tools may generate corrupted symbol table such that global symbols
> are treated as local.  Linker will complain undefined symbols while
> outputs from nm/readelf show the symbols are defined and global.  This
> patch adds corrupted symbol table check to nm/readelf.  OK to install?

Hmm, what was the outcome of:

    https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2011-04/msg00088.html

which seemed to be the last word on the original patch?  FWIW I agree
that printing "<corrupt>" instead of the binding would be confusing.
You said:

    https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2011-04/msg00100.html

but we could be more helpful than "Bad symtab".  E.g.:

    Symbol %d is in the local area but is not STB_LOCAL

Or if you wanted to get really fancy you could stick a [*] at
the end of the line and say something like:

    [*] These symbols are in the local area but are not STB_LOCAL

at the end (all text just examples).

[BTW, sorry for butting in, but the MIPS reference caught my eye...]

Thanks,
Richard