H8 targets

Greetings!
    I'm looking for any pointers folks might have wrt
building cross tools for H8 targets.  I've been stumbling
through the binutils (2.7) build trying variations
of "h8300" targets (e.g., h8300, h8300-coff, etc.)
and seem to always catch *some* sort of problem in the
configure or build stages.
    I assume it would be too much to ask for a list of
targets that have been built on particular hosts, etc.
(assuming the choice of target is somehow related to
the particular host).
    Thanks!
--don