Re: Cross Compiler for m68k

On Tue, 13 May 1997, John Walker wrote:

> I want to build GCC as a cross compiler so I can develop code for the 68030
> processor. This processor will be running on a custom-built board.
>
> I found the Cross-Compiling-mini-howto,
>
> ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/LOCAL/680x0/docs/cross-compiling-Mini-HOWTO

I do not know anything about the Mini-HOWTO you reference but I
think the definitive place to start is the crossgcc FAQ at
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/embedded/crossgcc.

You probably should use newer versions of binutils and gcc.  Also,
you will probably need a C library and newlib is the choice for
embedded systems.  If you need a free real-time operating system,
then give RTEMS a look (www.rtems.army.mil and www.oarcorp.com).
If you are interested in Ada95, then GNAT/RTEMS is an alternative.

If you are doing an embedded system then you probably want to
use a target configuration like m68k-coff not m68k-linux.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Sr. Computer Scientist
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985