Re: Motorola CPU32 and gcc/gdb

> Is Noral's BDM interface for CPU32 compatible with the Motorola BDM
> cable. The reason I ask is that I want to use if for BDM debugging with
> GDB on a Linux platform.
>
> Regards,

Roger,

We are not compatible with the Motorola BDM cable - reason - ours is
MUCH better. We have a control micro within the BDM header which
talks to the PC via a proprietary protocol (H/W and S/W). This means
we end up talking to the CPU32 BDM interface ALOT faster than the
standard Motorola cable - in fact we measure our own debugger (under
Windows) downloading into target memory at 37KB/sec for a 20MHz
CPU32 system.  We have also implemented a 'dynamic' memory access
system whereby the target memory is accessible during execution.
This is not real time BUT target intrusion is kept to a minimum
since the break,access,re-execute sequence is under control of the
micro (20MHz PIC) in the BDM header - not the PC!

We dont have a Linux/gdb driver for our BDM unit, BUT if anyone
wants to do one we would provide them with all the information
required (this also applies to Coldfire).

Regards.
Tony Armitstead                   tonya@noral.co.uk
Noral Micrologics Ltd.         http://www.noral.com
Logic House, Gate St.           ftp://ftp.noral.com
Blackburn, Lancs.                 Tel: 01254 682092
England, UK.                      Fax: 01254 680847