as: unrecognized option `-c68020'

I'm trying to build a cross-compiler to compile for a 68000 (m68k-aout)
on a linux host.  I've followed the instructions in the FAQ and it dies
while building libgcc with the message
	"as: unrecognized option `-c68020'"

According to the gas manual the correct option is -mc68020.  I've
grepped through everything in the source tree to try to find where the
string -c68020 comes from, but with no success.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Neil
--
Neil Youngman,

Video Networks Ltd.		Videonet (tm) - Video On Demand