Re: Results of "downloading compressed program images" request

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:

> rj@eli.elilabs.com said:
> > Why does an embedded system impose special considerations for
> > licensing?  If you are concerned about distribution in binary only
> > form, this is allowed, provided that you give a reference to where the
> >  source may be found.
>
> This is pushing the envelope, because the customer that buys a toaster
> with a ROM filled with GPLed software has no means to modify that ROM.
> There is in practice no "preferred form of the work for making modifications
> to it" because the customer has not been given the means to load a
> modification, or even link it. Nor can he. Likely, special hardware is
> required, possibly not available to anyone other then the toaster maker.

I agree that this is very likely the case for MOST applications.  But does
the LGPL force you to still distribute your application in a form that
would require you to go through the effort to make it available anyway.
To me, the tiniest risk is too much.  Remember, I wear two hats -- as one
I am an application developer and I would have to let my customer evaluate
the license of packages embedded in their system.  A decision there
implacts 1 user/application.  The rest of the time I wear the RTEMS hat
and a decision there impacts many more people.  So I tend to be cautious.
I do not want to force any work on an RTEMS user in regards to meeting
license requirements than I have to.  One of the original reasons for the
RTEMS project was to avoid per system royalties since it is such a pain
accounting-wise.  The royalties were offensive but having to track that
over the often 20+ year of a fielded weapon system was a problem to the
Missile Command.

I still have to ask, "If the GPL or LGPL can be satisfied by an
application (embedded or otherwise) without any special considerations by
the developers, then why do libgcc and the gnat run-time have special
exceptions?"

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985