GCC and Hitachi SH

In order to build GCC and the binutils under Linux, as a cross-compiler
for a Hitachi SH (7708), I found I had to change the file
gcc/config/sh/sh.h.

I ran configure with --target=sh-hitachi-hms, without any problems.
Then, when I ran make, I received the following error:

rtlanal.o: In function `dead_or_set_regno_p':
/home/wyper/gnutest2/build/gcc/../../src/gcc/rtlanal.c:1162: undefined
reference to `optimize'

I changed line 161 of sh.h as follows (the original is the first line):
< #define PRESERVE_DEATH_INFO_REGNO_P(regno) (TARGET_RELAX || optimize)
---
> #define PRESERVE_DEATH_INFO_REGNO_P(regno) (TARGET_RELAX)

After making this change, make ran without any errors.  I am using:
	binutils-2.9.1
	gcc-2.8.1
	newlib-1.8.1

I am also using the "one tree build method" from the Cygnus FTP site.

Was this the right way to fix this problem?

Another problem I found: Configure.in creates links to ../ld/ld.new and
../gas/as.new, but the actual filenames are ld-new and as-new. ('-'
instead of '.')

Thanks for any help,

	Neil Wyper