Re: Macraigor wiggler(BDM) on ppc860 under Linux

hillman_97@yahoo.com (Vaughan Hillman) writes:

> I took a closer look at the code and I believe that
> ppc-bdm.c file supports the wiggler in two different
> ways (I think, as its hard to tell).  You can run
> ppc860 on WIN32 with Macraigor windows dll and
> parallel wiggler.  The command is
>
> 	target ocd wiggler /dev/lpt0
>
> This was what I had originally thought gdb had support
> for.

That's right.  The /dev/lpt0 just gets passed to the DLL, GDB
doesn't use it directly.

> I tried connecting to my parallel device with the line
>
>         target ocd /dev/lp0
>
> Trying to talk to lp0 (1st printer port) gets stuck on the write
> (system call) to the port.

This isn't going to work;  GDB doesn't have a "serial" interface
to the parallel port.

> All of the code for this second target seems to be
> talking to a serial device. Does anyone know if this
> is accurate?  Is there a different target line
> that supports the parallel wiggler?

Now I'm a little confused by what you're talking about.  GDB supports
both the "wiggler", which is the basically-passive-parts gizmo that
needs the DLL to do all the thinking, and the "box", which effectively
puts the DLL in ROM, and GDB sends commands.  The box I have has both
a serial and a parallel port, but GDB can only use the serial port on
it.  I'd be willing to add parallel-port-to-box code (for either
Windows or Linux), if someone contributes it.  However, the wiggler
relies completely on Craig's DLL, so you can't use it on Linux without
porting or reverse-engineering the DLL.

							Stan Shebs
							Cygnus Solutions
							shebs@cygnus.com

To get help for the crossgcc list, send mail to
crossgcc-request@cygnus.com with the text 'help'
(without the quotes) in the body of the message.