RE: Coldfire support

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Mark Powell wrote:

> On 14-Jan-99 Wynn Rostek wrote:
> >  Does anyone have experience with the GNU tool chain supporting the Coldfire
> >  processor?  We've got assemblers but the job would go quicker with a C
> >  compiler and a debugger.
>
> I just went through the process of putting together a ColdFire tool chain.
> This is the information I needed to know, but couldn't find anywhere.
>
> For a complete toolchain you will need:
>   binutils-2.9.1  (I have seen messages referring to 2.9.1.0.xx but I don't
>                    know where these later version(s) come from)
>   egcs-1.1.1
>   newlib-1.8.1
>
> These are all available from the Cygnus web sites http://egcs.cygnus.com/ and
> http://www.cygnus.com/
>
> In addition, you should apply the RTEMS patches to binutils-2.9.1, and the
> attached patch for egcs-1.1.1. Both fix bugs.

I am in the process of putting together the RTEMS egcs 1.1.1 patch and
Mark's volatile bug fix will be in it.

The RTEMS patch for newlib 1.8.0 includes optimized versions of some of
the m68k memory routines (mem*()).  I am currently testing the RTEMS
newlib 1.8.1 patch.  We were deliberately ignoring 1.8.1 until RTEMS 4.0.0
was out.  :)

> The RTEMS patch file is available from the RTEMS web site. You can reach
> the RTEMS web site from David Fiddes site at
> http://www.calm.hw.ac.uk/davidf/coldfire

David has done a lot of ColdFire and RTEMS work.  :)

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (256) 722-9985