Missing environ definition in EGCS 1.1.1 build

I'm trying to build a EGCS 1.1.1 cross compiler for H8/300, hosted on
WinNT (mingw32).

When the build gets to the link for cc1.exe, it croaks, complaining
that _environ is undefined. I searched a bit; toplev.c and a couple
other files define

extern char **environ

which I assume points to a list of environment variable strings. I
couldn't find where environ is actually defined. Is this supposed to
be passed in from the environment? Where is the actual definition?

Thanks for any help.

MKE

Michael K. Elwood              Phone: 801-466-8770
QSI Corporation                Fax:   801-466-8792
email:  mkelwood@qsicorp.com

Opinions are mine, not QSI's, etc. etc.

    "I don't believe in violence. I don't
            even believe it exists."