Re: MIPS - Sony (PSX)?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Brian wrote:

> At present I'm trying to build the egcs cross compiler for my Sony Yaroze
> which is MIPS r3000 based, there seems to be a Sony target in the MIPS
> target specific directory, so I have a few questions.
> Is there any other Sony kit that is MIPs based?
> Or is the Sony stuff just what I'm looking for?

Eventhough Sony delivers DJGPP with its Playstation Dev Kit, they still
do not freely distribute the programming manual for the Playstation.
Your Yaroze comes with only a subset of the full documentation and
only a fraction of the libraries.  Since this information is closed,
I find it hard to believe the Sony configuration option of GCC is for
the PSX.  Rather, I believe there was a MIPS based Sony workstation
a long time ago.

BUT I would kill to have the the full PSX documentation myself.
Someone must have it that is willing to share it despite of the
foul licensing requirements of Sony.  I am not about to shell out
> $10K for hobbyist purposes.  BTW how did they produce the PSX
emulators?  No, I do not believe in reverse engineering in this case.

Anyone?  [Even the Yaroze docs are better than nothing...]

Question 2:  The Playstation II apparently use a 128 bit MIPS.
I am not aware of any 128 bit MIPS at this time, thus I suppose
there neither can be any GCC support for it yet.  Is this the
reason Metrowerks is listed as third party SW supplier for PSX II?

Question 3:  The '--with-package=...' GCC configuration option
appears to be equivalent with the '-m...' GCC command line option.
I have not had the time to crosscheck the specs file vs. multiple
installations - sooo, is this observation correct or not?

(I attempted to use this option to set the m68k xgcc default
 to plain 68000 instead of the usual default of 68020.  But I
 have not yet used this compiler yet to see what object sizes
 it produces.)

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
  -Robert Anson Heinlein

		GeirFRS@invalid.and.so.forth