problems with MIPS cross compiler

Hello and help. I needed to rebuild our cross compiler for the MIPS
processors and it is giving me some minor problems. I'm not sure what
our old version was and at this point it is too late to find out. The
new version is built from binutils version 2.9.1 and gcc version 2.8.1.
The build and install were completely trouble free. My target is
mips64orion-unknown-elf. The problem I am having is in the linking
phase. I'm getting ISA mismatches between the code I compile and my
libraries.

My compile looks like this.

    gcc -G 8 -c -mcpu=r4600 -mips3 foo.c

When I do this objdump --file-headers gives the following output.

    foo.o:     file format elf32-bigmips
    architecture: mips:3000, flags 0x00000011:
    HAS_RELOC, HAS_SYMS
    start address 0x0000000000000000

Notice the architecture line says mips:3000 and not mips:4000.

If I change the -mcpu type from r4600 to r4000 then objdump and ld
are happy.

I've done a little poking around in config/tc-mips.c and didn't see
anything obvious in there. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can
fix this? If this is just the way it is what does it mean other than
a lot of broken makefiles?

Thanks for your help,
 - Joel