GDB build for a crosscompiler...

I'm trying to build the tool change on windows NT.
The target is m68k-coff

I have successsfully build the binutils, egcs1.1.2 and newlib.

I am unable to build GDB.

when I try to configure GDB with

configure --verbose --target=m68k-coff --prefix=/gcc-m68k

the configure fails.

This exact same configure works just fine on Linux

The end of the configure script .....

>checking for ld used by GCC... no
>configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH
>Configure in /build/gdb/opcodes failed, exiting.

ld is present .....

>bash-2.02$ ld --version
>GNU ld 2.9.4
>Copyright 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
>the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
>  Supported emulations:
>   i386pe

Also I've applied some patches to the binutils source to support the Coldfire
MAC and DIV instructions. If I want GDB to suppor these opcodes, can I just
copy the changed files from
the binutils branch to the GDB branch?

TIA

Paul