Re: gdb via BDM or Ethernet?

Gunter Magin wrote:

> > I haven't tried the BDM support under Cygwin, so I can't comment on
> > that. Our next release of the compiler/debugger/newlib will include BDM
> > support for CPU32, MPC5xx and MPC8xx targets.  Using this interface, gdb
> > reports download speeds of about 110K bits per second on a Pentium host.
> > Should be out around the end of the month.
>
> Scott:
>
> are you in the position to unveil details of the debugger/BDM combo?

Oh no, it's top secret!  :-)

> Which operating systems?

DOS/Win 3.1/Win95/Win NT

> What type of dongle?

For 68k, the Motorola/P&E 'ICD' cable. For Power PC, the Macraigor
wiggler.

> Will the driver be GPL'd?

We haven't figured out the exact licence terms, but the intent is that
it will be available in source form with no restrictions on
non-commercial use.

> What are the roots for that? Is it an own development?

The 68k stuff is based upon the application note I wrote when I worked
for Motorola, with some very minor bug fixes and improvements. The Power
PC stuff is a new in-house design.

> Is there any relation with the OCD support in gdb4.17 & gdb4.18?

No, it's a totally separate driver.

> And: Do you need a alpha/beta tester?

Not yet, but soon maybe ... I'll contact you by e-mail when we're ready.

Scott Howard
scott@objsw.com