Re: General embedded development kits using gcc/gdb.

Craig Verbeck wrote:

> My reply may be considered off topic -- but I think it's a cool idea....

> There are development boards for all of these systems.  The ultimate would
> be to download a zip (windows) or tar-ball (Linux) that had binary versions
> of the compiler, debugger, eCos, and maybe uC/Linux with a BSP for a
> specific development board.  Based on how much processor you have available
> (MIPS, memory size, etc.) other excellent additions would be a portable GUI
> and a TCP/IP stack.  All ready to go.  Download, install and you are ready
> to develop in a familiar environment that has been pre-converged to this
> target system.
>
> Here's a list of processors that I'd love to see a binary distribution of
> this "development kit" for both windows and Linux:
> 8bit: 8051/Atmel AVR
> 16bit: x86
> 32bit: PPC/CPU32(68k)/ARM/MIPS/Pentium
> I'm sure there are more.  These are the processors that I use (or would like
> to use) on a regular basis.
>
> I know a lot of people have developed parts and pieces of this.  All of the
> source code is available.  But, there does not appear to be any _overall_
> organization.
>
> Sorry for the rant,

This is not that much of a rant. :)

I think that the RTEMS team has come as close to anyone to meeting your
requirements.  There are pre-built cross toolset binaries for Linux x86,
Solaris/SPARC, FreeBSD, and Cygwin.  On each host, the same target
CPU families are supported (i386, i960, m68k/coldfire/cpu32, mips,
powerpc, sh, and sparc).  In addition, there are also Linux x86 only
binaries for the hppa and recently submitted Hitachi H8 port.  There
is a port of RTEMS to the TI DSP C3x/C4x family and when possible we
will
eventually make GNU toolset binaries available for that.  An ARM port is
underway and tools will be added for that one when it is merged.  The
current version of all these are available at
ftp.oarcorp.com:/pub/rtems/betas.
Be careful when pulling things down -- use the index.html to guide your
selection.  There are literally over a Gbyte of tool binaries.  It
is hard to imagine anyone really needing all of them. :)

The above described tool binaries give you tools that target the CPU
family.
The second 1/2 of the problem is targetting to your board.  Included
in the RTEMS source is an RPM spec that can be used to build a packaged
binary version of a Board Support Package.

RTEMS has all of the classic RTOS features mentioned in the original
port
plus more.  It includes a port of the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack, filesystem
support, MicroWindows port, remote debugging via Ethernet, webserver,
and much more.  It supports about 85% of the full POSIX 1003.1b standard
including threads, supports a pSOS+ like API, and has emerging support
for ITRON.

For online documentation follow the links from www.oarcorp.com.
> A.C. Verbeck
> Principal Software Engineer
> Clarity Visual Systems
> email: cverbeck@clarityvisual.com
> vox: (503) 570-0319
> fax: (503) 682-9441
> web: www.ClarityVisual.com
>
> ------
> Want more information?  See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985